This original Egyptian Funerary Cone is from Ancient Egypt and once belonged to the Sheik Adb el-Qurna. It dates back to the 18th Dynasty during the reign of Thutmose III, about 1543-1292 BC. Inscriptions on the clay cone are written in the Ancient Egyptian language.
Wedges of fired clay were inserted into a layer of soft plaster above doors of Egyptian tombs. The end of the cones that faced out of the plaster were stamped with inscriptions and painted bright colors. The flat, circular ends of the wedges created a frieze above the door. It is theorized that these cones may have had religious significance (Dibley)
This funerary cone was made for a man named Amenemipet. It could have belonged to one of two people with this name.
- The first, also known as Pairy, was Vizier and Governor of the town under Amenhotep II of the 18th Dynasty, c. 1425 BC.
- The second was an overseer of the city during the late 21st or early 22nd dynasty, c. 950-900 BC.
The cone is registered as No. 297 in Macadam’s Corpus of Inscribed Funerary Cones, Oxford 1957. Because several identical copies of each cone exist, the drawing in the book shows details not clearly visible in our example.
A translation done by Julie Masquelier-Looris reads, “First god’s servant of Amun in (the temple named) Henket-Ankh, Ahmose” (Dibley).
Dibley, Gary, Bron Lipkin, and Julie Masquelier-Loorius. A Compendium of Egyptian Funerary Cones. London: Lipkin, 2009. Print.